Please find our sermons below:
Blotting out TransgressionIsaiah 43:25, Psalm 32:1-11, Andrew Love, May 20, 2018
- This verse speaks of the great salvation of sinners
- A dark background (v22-24)
- The promise - repeated throughout the bible
- e.g. 44:22
- This is purely because of love and for His own names' sake
- God chooses not to remember our sins
- What is transgression?
- How serious is it?
- Why do we transgress?
- What is the Good News?
- How should we respond to it?
What is transgression?
- The breaking of a law
- Trespassing is slight different to transgression
- It is over stepping God's law and boundary
- Sins of Commission
- Sins of Omission
- e.g. v22-24 - sins of omission
- Sin is not just not doing the things you should
- The whole of the law and the prophets is summed up in this: love your neighbour and God
- Breaking of this law of love
- James 2:8-11
- Even breaking one (little) law and you break the whole law of God
- We cannot just keep certain parts of the law
- We are all transgressors - we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God
How serious is it?
- How serious is sin?
- Do you see your sin as an affront to a Holy God?
- Do you see that your sin grieves God?
- Do you believe that God cannot look upon sin?
- Do you believe that if God is Holy and just He must punish sin?
- We ought to tremble before sin
- Ezra 9:4
- Example of David
- Psalm 51:1-3
- Do we confess our sin?
- David had sinned not just against others but also against God
- Do we downplay our sin?
- Will God forgive us if we use the cross as an excuse for sin?
- Ezk 39:24
- Ex 23:21 and Josh 24:19 - God will not forgive sin if people make light of it
- v22-25 & explanation
Why do we transgress?
- We sin because we have a sinful nature
- Isa 48:8
- It is ingrained within us
- Ezk 18:31
- Sin comes from our heart
- We need a new heart - this can only come from God
- The promise of v25 can only be given to those who come in faith to God and who believe
- We need a change on the inside before there can be a change on the outside
What is the Good News?
- The truth of Christianity is Good News!
- All our sin and our filth can be washed clean - as white as snow
- Isa 1:18
- He will do this for His namesake
- Our sin has been laid on Jesus at the cross
- Isa 53:5-6
- Sin must be punished and it has all been laid on Jesus Christ
- The Bible gives wonderful promises to those who believe in Jesus Christ
How should we respond to it?
- What is your response?
- Are you going to keep relying upon yourself?
- Will you confess your sin?
- Will you believe the promise of God?
- Have you seen the love of God in the face of Jesus Christ?
- Have you believed in Jesus?
25I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins. (KJV)
1Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. 3When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. 4For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. 5I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. 6For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. 7Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. 8I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. 9Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee. 10Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about. 11Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart. (KJV)
|« God speaks to Nebuchadnezzar||Daniel explains the Dream||I will pour out My Spirit »|