Please find our sermons below:
He will remember youIsaiah 49:1-16, Andrew Love, March 11, 2018
- Opening remarks
- Who will He remember?
- When will He remember you?
- How will He remember you?
Who will He remember?
- Answer found in Isaiah 49
- A servant song
- He was coming into a world of much rejection
- He was coming to win victory
- He would be upheld by His Father
- He would set His people free
- v12 - both people near and far (the Jews and the Gentiles)
- "Yet I will not forget you" (v15)
- He will not forget His people
- These are the covenant people of God
- The children of God are those redeemed by God
- Do you belong to the people of God?
- Have you come by faith to God?
When will He remember you?
- (He will always remember His people)
- The context:
- The people of God are facing imminent invasion
- Isaiah is prophesying to a time 200 years in the future
- Many of the Israelites had died
- Many of the Israelites had lost hope
- In this context God says 'I will never forget you'
- Consider Lamentations
- There are times that seek to overwhelm us - but God is not with us any less than in the good times
- Isa 41:8-10 (God promises comfort)
- At these bleak times we need to take hold of the promises of God (the "I will")
- Isa 43:1
- Consider the example of Mary
- Example of hymn
- We have every reason to look to and trust the Lord
- Trials and tribulations are not a sign that God has left us
- Heb 13
- Our High Priest is sympathetic
- Let us call upon God and trust Him
- 1 Pet 1:7
- v14 seems to be a cry of unbelief - yet it is the true cry of a godly heart (Psalm 13:1-2)
- Psalm 42:9,11
- Christ was tempted in all ways (yet was without sin)
- He can render aid to the believer
- God will remember you in the depths
How will He remember you?
- Example of the strong maternal bond
- God remembers us with a love that is deeper than the love of any human
- Words of Solomon and David
- How has Jesus loved us?
- John 15:9
- God's love towards His Son
- Jesus' love towards us
- He loves us with a love deeper than a lovers mother
- If God will not forget us - how come we forget Him?
- If He loves us so much - why do we not love Him?
- v16 - we are inscribed/engraved on the palms of His hands
- God is branding Himself because of the depth of His love for us
- Example of the hymn
- Once His, we are forever His
- Example of Calvin and hymn
- Should we ever doubt His love?
- v16 - we cannot forget the wounds in Jesus' hands
- A Lamb slain from the foundation of the world
- Jesus lifts up His hands and God remembers us
- Christ's hands intercedes for us
- v16 - God sees things that do not exist now as though they do exist
- We are secure in God
- God's walls of salvation surround us
- How we will respond?