Reasons not to worry over material things
- Thinking about our attitude to food and clothing
- Are we taken up with material things?
- Some people do struggle with putting food on their table
- Worry and anxiety can have devastating effects on people
- Jesus is now addressing His disciples
- Jesus had addressed the man who had interrupted Him
- Jesus knows His disciples/God's children can worry
- Do we worry about these things?
- We live in affluence compared to others in the world - how does this apply to us?
- Though we have provision - there is still worry
- A number need help (like foodbanks)
- In other places, people have far less
- We are bombarded with advertising for material gain and food
- We can be taken up with these - rather than lacking them
- They should be of secondary importance - v23
- Life is about your soul and its relationship to the living God
- Loving the things that please God and loving God
- 1 Cor 7 - have a light hold on material possessions
- Do you envy others?
- Examples from Psalmist - Ps 73
- Overview - If we are not to worry:
- Life is more than the material
- Your value before God
- No benefit to worrying
- The pagan worry about these things
- His promises are sure and His provision is great
Life is more than the material
- Life is not primarily about these things
Your value before God
- v24 - we are of more value that birds, therefore God will provide for us
- Remember that we are precious in God's sight
- The parable of the sower - the things of the world can choke our faith
- Worry can be severe - Quote from Winston Churchill
- Jesus tells His disciples not to be anxious but cast their care on God
No benefit to worrying
- v25 - No-one can add one cubit to their stature
- Worry is futile
- Worry will not increase your height but it will bow you low
- Worry will not prolong life but shortens your life
- Prov 12:25
- Example of Frank Sinatra
- Quote from Poem
- Example of statistics/figures
- Only a minority are true worries
- Quote from "O what a friend we have in Jesus"
- We worry when we are prayer-less
The pagan worry about these things
- Christianity is counter-cultural
- We are not to 'fit in'
- It is about seeking the Kingdom of God first
- Unbelievers do not seek after God
- Believers are the children of God with a heavenly Father
- Generally speaking, children do not worry about their parents provision
- We should not doubt God
His promises are sure and His provision is great
- Seek God's Kingdom first - in all areas of life - If you do, your needs will be met
- "My God shall supply all of your need"
- Ps 37:25, 84:11
- Example of Elijah
- "Godliness profits above all things"
- Example of Concert Violinist
- Example of Martha and Mary
Recap of key points
Concern yourself with treasure in heaven
- Concern yourself with treasure in heaven - v34
- What is your treasure?
- Is it loving God and the Lord Jesus?
- Give alms and provide for the poor
- Quote from Hudson Taylor
- God did not spare His own Son - will He not give us everything in Jesus?