Please find our sermons below:
Encountering Christ's PowerLuke 4:42-5:11, Andrew Love, March 3, 2019
- Looking at Luke 5:1-11
- Quick recap of Portugal visit:
- Gift of a cup
- Gift of a South American Breakfast
- Getting to know there ways by staying with them
- Do you know Christ?
- Do you know Him personally?
- Do you know Him as Lord, Saviour and friend?
- We are going to consider Simon Peter
- It is a process
- Different recorded events where Peter met Christ
- Christ was drawing Peter to Himself
- God often draws people
- Jesus' meetings with Peter:
- Reminder of John 1
- We meet Andrew and his brother Simon Peter
- Andrew had met Jesus and realised He was the Messiah
- Andrew introduces Peter to Jesus
- In their first meeting, Jesus changes Peter's name
- Jesus had called Peter
- He was to be Cephas - a rock and servant in the Church
- Luke 4:38
- Jesus had been preaching
- Jesus comes to Peter's home
- Jesus heals Peter's mother-in-law
- This must have had a profound effect on Peter
- Luke 5
- An awesome and significant event
- Such a crowd to hear His preaching that He must get into a boat
- He chooses Simon Peter's boat
- He preaches to the masses
- After preaching He brings a personal word to Peter - 'let down your nets'
- Jesus performs an awesome miracle
- Another boat is called and both are almost sinking
- Simon Peter falls at Jesus' knees
- Perhaps still in the boat
- Peter sees Jesus in a way he has never seen before
- Jesus replies that from now on he would catch men
- Peter and the others forsake their profession and follow Jesus from this point on
- Peter knows he is a sinner and knows something of what Christ is
- He becomes a true disciple of Jesus Christ
- God still has a work to bring him to a fuller understanding
- What about us?
- Do we come to church but have never know and trusted Jesus?
- Have we experienced significant events on the road to Christ?
- Have we yielded ourselves entirely to Christ?
Public preaching and ministry (v1-3)
- He preached in the open air and taught in the synagogues (4:31,44)
- Do we attend the place where Christ is preached?
- There is a blessing for those who come to Christ
- People can preach anywhere - examples
- Christ is the prince of preachers
- Ecc 11:5 - we cannot see but God knows what He is doing or what is happening in people's hearts
- Jesus knows that His ministry is not to perform miracles per se, but to preach - 4:43
Private ministry (v4)
- Came after the public ministry
- Jesus speaks to Peter
- He will show His power
- We need to hear Christ speaking into our personal lives
- We need direction from Him
- We need to ask Jesus to teach us
- Not mystical experiences
- Prayer for guidance as we read the word
Encountering Christ's Power (v5-9)
- Peter as a fisherman knew when was the best time to fish
- Peter obeys
- Christ shows His omniscience
- Did He know this by His divine attributes?
- Did He know as the perfect man?
- He did it as the God Man
- Peter confesses Christ as Lord
- He sees something of His deity
- Christ shows His omnipotence
- Christ directed the fish into the nets
- Peter's reaction was to fall at Jesus knee's?
- Have we understood who Christ is?
- Eternal God taking on human form
- Performing miracle after miracle after miracle
- Have we understood who we are?
- Our sin?
- How we fall far short of His glory?
- That sin corrupts?
- That we offend an almighty God?
- Have we understood that Christ is our mediator with God?
Enlisting into Christ's Service
- Personal example
- We bring the gospel that Christ will catch men
- We let down the gospel net and many souls will be saved
- Consider Pentecost - 3'000, 5'000, 10'000 saved
- Miracles are not just for the benefit of the person ...
- ... but to point people to Christ
- Whatever good God has done to you - it is so that you would worship Him
- A repeated miracle
- For a specific reason
- The restoration of Peter
- The miracle in itself was nothing compared to His sacrifice on the cross
- Simon Peter knew this truth
- He was met by the risen Lord Jesus
- All Peter could do was preach of Jesus Christ
- After this event he never looked back
- May it be that we enter into Christ if we cast ourselves onto Jesus
- Luke 9:23-25
- May it be that we give up our life to save it
- May it be that we have Christ
42And when it was day, he departed and went into a desert place: and the people sought him, and came unto him, and stayed him, that he should not depart from them. 43And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent. 44And he preached in the synagogues of Galilee. 5:1 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret, 2And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets. 3And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship. 4Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. 5And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. 6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. 7And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink. 8When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. 9For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken: 10And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men. 11And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him. (KJV)
|« Hope||Blessing from God||I am willing, be clean »|