Please find our sermons below:
Christian Hope1 Peter 1:1-25, Richard McDonald, July 29, 2018
- Concentrating on v13
- Using both NKJV and ESV
- A step into the next part of the book
- Shows us all that we have in Christ
- Example of TV Show - saying that God gives us false hope
- A lot of people in society today believe this
- Scripture makes clear this is not the case
- Peter is writing the letter to remind people what they have in Christ
- The people of the dispersion are being persecuted daily for their faith
- They were likely mainly Gentile, but there would have been some Jewish converts
- They were likely to have lost everything
- Similar to many Muslim people saved today
- We have an eternal inheritance - we have an eternal hope
- To build us up and encourage us of the hope we have in Christ
- We need hope today
- Is our hope real?
A Hope with Certainty
- The meaning of the word hope
- Not wish/desire but - no certainty in this
- Hope that requires effort - examples
- No hope - example of the lottery
- Do we try to find meaning in our lives by placing hope in these things?
- Trying to find God in these things
- Are we trying to fill our God shaped hole with worldly stuff?
- These hopes are all temporary
- The only hope
- A living hope (in Jesus Christ)
- It is different because it is not based on anything we have done - it is based on God's great mercy (v3)
- God loves us with a pure love - not seen in society
- God has given us new life - caused us to be 'born again'
- Brought about by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ (v3)
- A historical fact
- Sin dealt with on the cross
- All who believe - know they are saved
- A real and certain hope
A Hope that helps us keep focus
- v13 - Therefore
- The first part points back to previous Scripture
- The middle part gives us practical help now
- The end part speaks of the future
- Be sober minded and prepare your minds for action - 'gird up the loins'
- Prepare your minds - 'gird up the loins'
- Remove hindrances to be ready for work
- There is work required - not easy work
- Be ready for the return of Christ
- Be sober minded
- Do not have any inhibition/intoxication from the world and sin
- Do not be influenced by the world around but be influenced by what is to come
- The things of the world will fade and end
- The things of Christ will not
- Example of hazard perception test - look ahead at the dangers
- We are not perfect - we will fall and stumble
- We are living in a fallen world
- When we do fall and stumble - we can look to the hope that we have (in Christ)
- There can be difficulty and suffering
- Is the knowledge of where we are going and the hope in our lives - is it real?
- It is worth the effort
- Focus on Christ
A Hope that points to Christ's return and beyond
- The hope we have is real, but not yet fully realised
- It will be fully realised at the revelation of Jesus Christ
- Knowing the hope we have will help us to understand it
- Do we think ahead or think only of today?
- If we do think ahead - do we think about heaven?
- We are not to be wrapped up in this world
- If we believed in Christ's coming, we would be preparing
- Christ is coming
- Do you realise what will happen when Christ comes again?
- His coming will be the final event of history
- He will come with the clouds - Rev
- The dead will be raised - John 5:28-29
- Rev 21:1-3
- Believers and unbelievers - heaven and hell
- In heaven - a perfect body and soul to worship God, no more sin
- Pure love, pure joy, God centered, being with the people of God
- If you are saved - all this is yours
- If you are not saved - all this can be yours
- Quote from CS Lewis
1 Peter 1:1-25
1Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: 7That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 8Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 9Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. 10Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: 11Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. 12Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. 13Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. 17And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: 18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. 22Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you. (KJV)
|« Dealing with Fears & Weaknesses||Peace||Two people having an encounter with Jesus »|