Please find our sermons below:
Dealing with Fears & WeaknessesJudges 7:1-18, Kristian Diamond, July 22, 2018
- After Othniel (chapter 3), things went down hill
- Other Judges, then Gideon
- God is not calling heroes to save Israel but willing servants
- Israel might be tempted to think they can conquer Midian in their own strength
- God uses fear to whittle them down
- cf Deut 20:8
- We are afraid of different things
- Is our fear stopping us from action?
- The Church needs action
- God deals with confidence in man and strength in numbers
- Personal Example
- God hears the prayers of the few
- Are these 300 the bravest mightiest warriors amongst the Israelites?
- Are they infact the weakest - the least like characters?
- God does not always use the elite of society
- God often choses the least likely people
- Personal example
- God brings glory to Himself
- Glory went to God and the privilege went to people
- Nightmares - do you have a nightmare of a bread roll running down into the tent?
- They interpreted this as Gideon coming to smash the camp
- Many of our fears are unreasonable
- Types of fears - examples
- It is still a stumbling block and preventing you from action
- All 32'000 Israelites were afraid - but they all turned up to fight
- Example of war veterans
- Why would the Midianites be afraid?
- They are large in number and have outward confidence
- Inwardly they are insecure
- Personal example - Are we fearful of letting God down?, Are we afraid of God Himself?
- We cannot always overcome our fears
- We may need to pray daily for strength
- Sometimes we are delivered from our fears
- God is not looking for fearlessness but obedience
- Example of chapter 6
- Fear is okay - as long as it does not prevent us from action
- Example of flying and conversation with lady
- cf Luke 12:4-7
- We do not need to be afraid of God - if we know Him
Power from weakness
- Gideon's weakness for power caused him to sin later on
- God's power is made obvious in our weakness
- Gideon is a weak man, from a weak tribe
- This is not a false humility
- We are weak without God
- Serving yourself with serving the King is just serving yourself
- God acknowledges Gideon's weakness - but says 'I will be with you'
- We need to avoid arrogance in our own strength
- cf 2 Cor 12:7-10
- When we are weak God reveals Himself all the more
- Heb 11:32-34
- Phil 4:13
- We should not fear our weaknesses
- We need reassurance
- "If you are afraid, go down to the camp..."
- He will be reassured by knowing that they are fearful
- We all need reassurance - example
- As Christians we also need reassurance
- God loves you
- Gideon praises God - he is ready to spring into action
- A good model for those in Christian leadership
- Watch me
- Follow me
- Do as I do [Emulate me]
- Be careful because bad leaders can lead us astray
- Check all against Scripture
- Example of football
- Leaders are not perfect, Pastors are not perfect
- Jesus Christ is the head of the Church - the true leader and He is perfect
|« Delivered from the lion's mouth||Othniel - best of the Judges||Christian Hope »|
These sermons remain the property of Tabor Baptist Church and the respective speakers. Sermons may be downloaded as part of an RSS feed (e.g. through iTunes or other 3rd party software) and copied to MP3 players or phones for the purposes of listening only. No unauthorised copying or distribution is allowed.