Please find our sermons below:
The Battles of the KingPsalm 45:1-17, Andrew Love, November 12, 2017
- Concentrating on v3-7
- We live in times of relative peace
- We do know terrorism
- There are other concerns in our nation
- The solutions to our problems are not political but spiritual
- The problem is our nation turning its back on God
- The problem is in individuals
- We must pray for those Christians in politics
- The Psalm is about a God in heaven who is majestic in glory and splendor
- His Son Jesus Christ fights on behalf of truth, humility and justice
- He alone is the solution for Great Britain today
- We should pray v3-4
- Christ is establishing His invisible Kingdom in the nations
- A Prayer for Action (v3)
- A Vision of Victory (v4-5)
- A Contemplation of the King (v6-7)
A Prayer for Action (v3)
- How much do you believe that the Son of God is involved in the affairs of men?
- Is God a distant God?
- Is God like a clock maker?
- Is God like a grandfather?
- Do you see a God who is deeply involved and aggrieved by the affairs of men?
- Our God can be known though Jesus Christ
- Our God is pictured as a warrior (v3)
- Take your sword - be ready for action
- Be ready to pray!
- We must ask God to act in the world
- Example of Gideon
- Do we see that the battle is the Lord's?
- A Prayer for Action
- God is not a weak God
A Vision of Victory (v4-5)
- Speaking about Jesus Christ (v2)
- v6 - quoted in Hebrews 1:8-9
- Jesus will defend truth, humility and righteousness - His arrows are sharp
- Rev 6:1-2
- Rev 19:11-16
- The Apostle had a fuller revelation than the Psalmist
- Do you see Christ as a might warrior, as Lord of the nations?
- Have you bowed your knee to Him?
- Have you surrendered your life to Him?
- The means of God are very different to the means of men
- Examples of rulers and governments
- Christ's way is very different (v4) - truth, humility and righteousness
- Examples of the rich and powerful
- Christ's death on the cross
- The sharp arrows (v5)
- The arrows of the law (which reveal our sin)
- The Gospel arrows
- The two edged sword that heals
- Example of dying man
- Has he conquered your heart?
A Contemplation of the King (v6-7)
- "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever" (v6)
- Heb 1:6-9
- Jesus is no demi-god (v6)
- Could there ever be a clearer verse about the deity of Jesus Christ? (V8)
- He is the God Man (v9)
- Who is Jesus to you?
- A moral man ...
- ... or God Himself
- A ruler, the head of His people
- "You love righteousness and hate wickedness" (v7)
- Was there ever a human that fulfilled this verse all the time?
- What a glorious person this is!
- This should make us shudder ... and think what a wonderful Saviour He is
- We must not harden our heart
- Come to Him now - do not put it off
- "anointed You with the oil of gladness"
- God is joyful
- God wants us to know joy [in Him]
1My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer. 2Thou art fairer than the children of men: grace is poured into thy lips: therefore God hath blessed thee for ever. 3Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O most mighty, with thy glory and thy majesty. 4And in thy majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and thy right hand shall teach thee terrible things. 5Thine arrows are sharp in the heart of the king's enemies; whereby the people fall under thee. 6Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. 7Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. 8All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad. 9Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir. 10Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; forget also thine own people, and thy father's house; 11So shall the king greatly desire thy beauty: for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him. 12And the daughter of Tyre shall be there with a gift; even the rich among the people shall intreat thy favour. 13The king's daughter is all glorious within: her clothing is of wrought gold. 14She shall be brought unto the king in raiment of needlework: the virgins her companions that follow her shall be brought unto thee. 15With gladness and rejoicing shall they be brought: they shall enter into the king's palace. 16Instead of thy fathers shall be thy children, whom thou mayest make princes in all the earth. 17I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever. (KJV)
|« My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?||Empathy & Sympathy||A prayer for the Messiah's reign »|